Monday, June 19, 2006

Interesting Links

Vallecime -- friendly and knowledgeable guides. Hike the nicest parts of the GR20 and other trails during the day, stay in posh accomodations at night.

Cicerone -- must-have English language guide book. Many other hikers carried this GR20 guide, which is detailed and accurate.

Corsica for Hikers -- excellent web resource. I wish this site existed when I was planning my hike. It's really got everything.

Larabar -- healthy and tasty. Perfect balance of fiber, fat and protein for exercising in general and long-distance hiking in particular. Get the mixed box.

Bridgedale -- socks are important. Whatever you do, try out several brands and styles of socks and pick one that works for you. Bridgedale is my choice, and I like their Endurance Trekker since I use them in warm and cold climates. I also have a few pairs of Endurance Trail Lights. Carry a few extra pairs.

Superfeet -- stock insoles suck. But don't take my word for it. Hike around in your boots with the insoles they came with, then try some Superfeet and you'll notice the difference.

Trekking poles -- poles are highly recommended on a rugged, rocky trail like the GR20. I had never used poles before, but got some a few months before starting the hike. They definitely assist your thighs on the long ascents, and save your knees on the steep descents. There are several good brands; I went with Black Diamond Terra CF's after trying a few different brands. BD has dropped their old "binary lock" on their lower shafts and replaced them with Flicklocks. This is a huge improvement since the binary locks were difficult to manage and broke easily. They no longer sell the Terra CF, but I like the upper shafts so much that I'll just replace the mids and lowers as needed (with Alpine CF components since they have Flicklocks).

Train schedules -- this is not the official site, but it usually has more up-to-date schedules.

Bus schedules -- usually faster than the train, with more routes although trains run more frequently.

No comments: